[Ganghwa] Gyodongdo Island
- AddressGyodong-myeon, Ganghwa-gun, Incheon-si
- InformationGanghwa County Cultural Tour: (032)930-3114
- PublishedDecember 1, 2014
- RevisedDecember 2, 2016
“Never-returning Island” where you can see the Royal Family’s exile history
Originally Gyodongdo Island’s name was “Daewoondo Island”. It had been called “Go-rym” or “Dal-ul Shin”, and after Goguryeo made “Hyun” as an administrative district it was called “Gomokgeunhyun”. Finally, King Gyeongdeok of Silla called it “Gyodongdo Island” and it is still called that today. Gyodongdo Island is the 14th largest island in Korea. It is near North Korea, only 5km toward a northwestern direction, so we can see Yeonbaek-gun, Hwanghae-do and North Korea directly across the sea. That is why this island has been restricted to civilians.
In history, Gyodongdo Island is close to Seoul and the tide around was high and ships could not approach so it was a place for the royal family’s exile. Prince Anpyong, Yeonsangun, Gwanghaegun, Youngchangdaegun, and Neungchangdaegun who deposed crown Princess Park are among them. And, they did not come back alive so this island was called “Never-returning Island”. There are some fertile plains so this island looks like a rural area rather than a fishing village. Gyodongdo Island produces rice, bean, garlic, red pepper, etc., as well as crabs and shrimps, and its mullets are famous. Plus, the oyster industry is brisk.
Gyodongdo Island, which is historically distinguished as the exile place for the royal family, is having a project to builda modern cultural space. In the area around Daeryong-ri and Gogu-ri, many kinds of historical exhibition facilities and parking lots will welcome travelers to learn about Gyodongdo Island’s history in a friendly atmosphere.
Ganghwa county, The Ministry of Security and Public Administration
- Operation rules
- We have several rules that is needed to maintain a good community. If we have determined that you have written an article that violate the rules, then we do not notify you, and immediately we can delete the article.
- Criteria to delete the post.
- The act of spreading private information (name, company name, private photos, phone number, Social Security Number, etc) or continuing to write a great number of post or comments.
- Posts to blame or insults others.
- Pornography posts or inappropriate posts for the youth.
- Posts that is different from the service purpose.
- Defamatory posts, such as to blame others or to spread false information.
- Posts that violate the relevant law such as Copyright Violation.